Friday, February 29, 2008

Daring Bakers Julia Child French Bread


When I first found that we were doing Julia Child's French Bread, I was astonished! Was it not February, should we not be doing chocolate or strawberries or some sexy dessert? But that was not the challenge, no it was/is bread. Mainly, I was scared.
I'm not really good at yeast. I've killed it many times, usually when making pizza. My first time with yeast was making a King Cake for Mardi Gras. It didn't rise and when cooked it was doughy and raw, making me slightly frightened of the live ingredient. But I also, have been wanting to make bread for forever. Especially, after making my flat bagels that were more like discs. So I accepted the challenge, but I put it off.
Oh I had the time at the beginning of the month to make the bread, but why make bread, when there is no one to bake it for. So I waited until moving back to Austin. I procastinated. But after deciding to take a day off from running and veg, I found it to be the perfect day for French Bread. So I went into the kitchen and got to it.

I accidently boiled the water and had to let it sit until it was cool, of course after burning my pinkie. Mixed in the yeast and started following the instructions. After mixing everything, I let it double in volume. 3 and 1/2 hours later, I punched it down. I started molding them. I didn't understand the forming instructions, so I kind of did my own thing. I molded them into what I thought where to be correct. I let them rest and rise, again.
Then I baked them, forgetting to set the time. Bang head against the wall, 6 hours of work to forget the timer!!! My only disaster. So I guessed the time, and waited. I did it with two batches of bread. Were they bad?
Not really, but there was more hard crust on the first batch than actual bread. Did I not let it rise enough? Did I not do it right? I don't know. I can just assume it didn't rise enough. But I'm not defeated by my bread. I'll do it, again, when I have the time.

For the recipe, visit Bread Chick

30 comments:

Big Boys Oven said...

this is amazing, you work is so execellent, good work! I love them, wish I can take one!

Joel said...

Looks like you did just dandy to me!

Oh, and by the way, French Bread /is/ sexy :)

Mandy said...

I always forget to set timer and have to guesstimate the time. Your bread turns out well. :)
BTW, you can add chocolate/Nutella to make the french bread sexier. ;p

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Jerry it looks like French Bread to me. And yes I think French Bread is sexy. Hope you do try it again. Things usually go easier the second time.

Andrea said...

I think your loaves turned out great. And Joel is right: French bread is sexy, especially with cheese and wine!

Cakespy said...

Hey, looks like you fared pretty nicely judging by these photos! I think yours look great!

Anonymous said...

They look great from here ;)

CB said...

aawww your poor wittle pinkie! but your bread looks awesome! Makes the battle scar worth it right? Great job!
-Clara

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Your bread looks like it turned out just fine. Try it again and you'll be amazed at how much easier it will be. Snaps to you for taking on the challenge!

L Vanel said...

Despite your not being satisfied with the results, your photos of the bread are really really nice. I really liked the texture and shadow on those photos. I hope you did find something good to do with the bread.

Anonymous said...

I didn't understand how to form the loaves either. Still, looks good!

Brilynn said...

Good for you for planning to do it again! I don't have the patience for bread, but I love it so much!

Karen Baking Soda said...

Don't be afraid of yeast, it will rise eventually even if that water is totally cool. And yes, shaping the bread (any bread but especially French) is something about practice. Please try again? It's so much fun!
(hey, they look fine and sexy!)

Katia Mangham said...

I totally relate- this was not a challenge I was all that excited about. But in the end, I loved it and learned so much from my mistakes. Your bread looks like itcame out pretty well.

Unknown said...

I like the Nutella idea somebody else had. Great job (I procrastinate too, all the time).

Anonymous said...

Bread is so tricky, and I love your free form dough formation. Go you!

Lesley said...

The bread looks really good. Nicely done!

Nemmie said...

You seemed to get along perfectly if you ask me! Hope your pinky is feeling better!

Gigi said...

They look picture perfect. I think they came pretty good and I have forgotten to set the timer many times. :)

Anonymous said...

All this bread peering has made me want to start another batch of dough. It was a super fun challenge, looks like yours was delicious too.

Mary said...

I can't tell you how many times I forget to set the timer. It's embarassing really. I think your bread looks great anyway. I hope your pinkie is ok!

breadchick said...

Glad you found a little time to fit the challenge in. Looks like French bread to me ;-)

Thanks for baking with Sara and I

Peabody said...

Sorry about your burnt pinkie. Bread looks great.

David T. Macknet said...

Yeah - no timer here, either. Glad that it turned out well for you!

Natalie, aka "Sheltie Girl" said...

Your bread loaves turned out beautifully. Great job!

Natalie @ Gluten A Go Go

Jessica said...

Yeast is a persnickety little thing. It still looks good! Also I agree with Joel, French bread is sexy ;)

Anonymous said...

Nice job! Your loaves look great.

Deborah said...

It looks great! I'm notorious for forgetting to set the timer...

Elle said...

Looks great...you'd never know that it may not(or may)have risen a third time.Great that you did the challenge and hope you do try it again.

Angel said...

Your bread looks perfect. The crust is supposed to be somewhat hard and the inside fluffy and soft. They look delicious!