Sunday, September 9, 2007

Soft Goey Goodness

Favorite cookie?
Chocolate chip, soft
Well that was specific. I mean not just chocolate chip, but soft. Personally I like crunchy, crisp. I like the snap, the crunch of the cookie breaking. The sound! But not this time, no, soft cookies were in order because I'm that type of girl.
The moment the IM came through my Mac, Alton Brown came to mind because he did a whole episode on different types of chocolate chip cookies. I started to search foodtv.com for the recipe. However, I found none for Alton Brown, but thank god for Google because it found it right away.
I looked at it, remembering the episode and how he switched to each variety. Of course I rarely ever deviate from the Tollhouse version so this was new and exciting.
I could defiantly tell the difference between the batters. This was a lot fluffier or maybe its because I creamed the butter before adding the sugar, who knows.
Of course, I deviated from Alton's recipe. Adding dark chocolate chips, milk chocolate chuncks, and pecans because just chips did not sound like a good cookie. It at least needs nuts (specifically pecans) to be American.
He calls for 14 minutes of baking time. I found that, that time lended itself to burnt crunchy cookies. Not what I was going for right?
I tried 10 mins. Not burned seemed a little softer, but hardened during cooling.
I tried 8 mins. Now they weren't completely soft. No. They were soft when warm, and slightly soft when cooled, but it was the closest I was going to get. So that was the designated time alloted.
Now will the person enjoy these cookies? Defiantly, but was it what they wanted? Was it soft to there liking? I don't know. I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Oh and my favorite...... Oatmeal Raisin preferably with dark chocolate chips.

PA Chocolate Chip
2 sticks unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 milk chocolate chunks or something to your liking

Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.
Cream butter in the mixer's work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed. Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Chill the dough, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets, 6 cookies per sheet. Bake for 8 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 4 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet for even browning. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

No comments: