Friday, April 11, 2008

Finding Home

Austin is my second home. I moved here when I was 18 years old and I automatically transitioned into life here. The liberal, free spirit embraced me. In my second semester in school, I was at Posse East, chilling with friends and a waiter told me that "I looked happy and that I fit into the Austin scene." I smiled. I had finally found a home that would accept me for being wild and a little crazy.
Now back here for the second time sense the break up and I fill that sense of home I first felt. As a friend told me, "Your ex might have broken up with you, but Austin didn't." And I feel now like the city hasn't. I have friends here, I still have a life here. I have Townlake, the Farmer's Market, and my yoga studio. Those haven't left. They are still here.
As, I come to realize this today, I also realize that I have grown so much in the past month. Things I wouldn't have done before I am doing now. Like drumming, dancing, eating weird things, making new friends. I am allowing myself to explore and see life and I haven't been happier. I do not regret anything, these mistakes are what I needed. Whatever happens, happens.
So tonight in my friends kitchen, I make Lemon Risotto. A twist on my new favorite dish. Of course you can't just have risotto for dinner. I chatted up the cute boy at Whole Foods on a salad. He agreed that my thoughts of a spinach, strawberries, candied pecans, and cheese. So off I went around the store to get everything.
Went home and immediately again made my friends kitchen my own. Started the risotto, made the salad dressing, and stirred the rice. I was in my zone. The scent of the rice and broth wafted through the apartment. My friend and I sat down and ate the meal, enjoying wine, a nice meal, and good company. To me that is home.

Lemon risotto
(adapted from Bon Appetit)
3 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 cups arborio rice or medium-grain white rice
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel

Meltbutter with oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add rice; stir 1 minute. Add wine and stir until evaporated, about 30 seconds. Add 1/2 cups hot broth; simmer until absorbed, stirring frequently. Add remaining broth 1/2 cup at a time, allowing broth to be absorbed before adding more and stirring frequently until rice is creamy and tender, about 35 minutes. Stir in cheese and remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in lemon juice and lemon peel. Season risotto with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl and serve.

2 comments:

Elle said...

What a great feeling to feel at home again in a place you once knew and have returned to. Your positive attitude is awesome.The salad and risotto and wine shared with a friend sounds like a love note to spring.

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Home is where the heart is happy.