Friday, April 25, 2008

Spring Soup



In Texas, spring and summer doesn't usually mean soup. It means tomates, bar-b-que and grilling, but I'm not a normal Texan. I use to be a vegetarian and still have those tendancies. So when I make a weekly menu, I try to include one or two.
When I went through recipes this week, I looked into Super Natural Cooking, a cookbook I bought when I was a vegetarian. One that I rarely looked at the past couple of months. However, with a new vegan friend I'm trying to cook for her, too because I know how hard it is to be a vegan in Texas. It is now turning into weekly Saturdays meals before our long runs on Sundays. But tonight is Friday, why am I cooking vegetarian?
Because fresh vegetables go bad quickly and with them in the fridge I decided to go to the cookbook to find my next meal. What I found was Heidi's Spring Ministrone. It looked perfect for a light meal and tasted great. Next dish, BLT's when tomatoes are ripe.

Spring Ministrone
(Adopted from Super Natural cooking)
2 garlic cloves
1/3 cup rice
2 cups vegetable stock
1 cup water
1/2 lb asparagus
1/4 lb snap or sugar peas
1/4 cup peas
salt
pepper

Saute garlic in olive oil in a pot, after the aroma permeates the kitchen, toast the rice. Add stock and water, cook rice for about 35-45 minutes. After rice is cooked, add vegetables, cook them until tender. Season salt and pepper. Serve.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That spring soup looks divine! Perfect for a hot spring day. Lovely!

K Allrich said...

Looks so fresh and green!

Anonymous said...

gorgeous looking soup jerry!